[AusNOG] Cisco 6500 with Sup 720 3BXL - Good routing platform ??

Julien Goodwin ausnog at studio442.com.au
Sun Sep 19 22:25:04 EST 2010

On 19/09/10 22:06, Alex Pinto wrote:
> The key requirements of this equipment is a blend of upstream transit
> providers, all hand off’ s will be Ethernet either fiber or copper and
> the 6500 on paper gives me a stupidly large port count for almost any
> 10/100/1000 copper or fiber ports, with even the option for 10gbit plus
> large cost effective performance.

Juniper MX80 with the SFP module? Or a larger MX if needed. The larger
MXen are now 120Gb/slot, triple the 6500.

> I’m not too concerned about security (firewall  deep inspection) within
> this device as I want it purely for speed / routing / BGP downstream,
> but netflow and having control of packets is equally as important so
> maybe the 6500 platform might not be the best.
>
> On the security side I’m considering a pair of Juniper SRX 3600 if they
> prove to be stable.
SRX clusters have been ok for some, horrible for others. Also if you
might consider the larger MX then going the SRX 5k would give you some
level of part commonality (the 5k is based off the MX 480 or 960).

I've yet to try routing on the larger SRXen, but a large telco had
deployed SRX240 and SRX650 to one of our customers as BGP edge routers,
and that's proven to be a bad idea. They do good routing or security,
not both. The larger SRXen that are true hardware platforms should be a
lot better.