[AusNOG] Cisco 6500 with Sup 720 3BXL - Good routing platform ??

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Sun Sep 19 13:47:47 EST 2010

On Sep 19, 2010, at 1:15 PM, Alex Pinto wrote:

> So what’s the catch ??

Broken NetFlow that's operationally useless; arcane and irksome ACL construction limitations to avoid overflowing TCAM and thus software switching traffic and thus self-DoSing the box; uRPF mode settings for the whole box only, rather than on a per-port basis.

The NetFlow issues alone preclude this box (and the 7600) from serious consideration as an edge platform with currently-available hardware.

Instead, I'd suggest looking at multiple ASR1Ks, at ASR9K (if it meets your feature requirements), an N7K (if it meets your feature requirements), a small GSR, or a small CRS-1.

I urge you to avoid 6500 or 7600 as an edge platform at all costs.

 	       Sell your computer and buy a guitar.