[AusNOG] Malcolm Turnbull to Comms role

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Thu Sep 16 19:22:06 EST 2010

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:46:31 +1000
"Sean K. Finn" <sean.finn at ozservers.com.au> wrote:

> Did anyone invite communications minister Conroy to attend AusNOG..
>
> We should invite Malcom Turnbull or other shadow minister as well as
> current Comms minister in advance for next year as this is a fairly
> relevant event, a refusal to show up or snub AusNOG would be
> considered very very bad form, with the opportunity for the shadow
> minister to cease on a now show to publicly display non interaction
> between industry and govt.

It'd probably be easier to turn a network engineer into a politician
than the other way around ... politicians aren't going to be able to
make value judgements on mechanisms, and conversely sometimes choose
not to listen to the limitations of the mechanisms (URL
filtering/recordig at NBN speeds and coverage?) if it doesn't suit their
policies.

Politicians should stick to policy, because that's their job.