[AusNOG] Peering IX in EQX

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Mon Sep 13 15:31:12 EST 2010

On 13/09/2010, at 1:52 PM, Keith Anderson wrote:

Hi All

What's the Cross connect fees at EQX now ?

I don't know the install fee but $95.00 a month +gst on goings seems very high for copper across the room.

An old-school engineer retired from the company he'd spent most
of his career with.  He'd spent several decades looking after a factory,
and knew every system in it inside and out.

He enjoyed his retirement, and appreciated being away from the hustle
and bustle. His new leisure time gave him a new lease on life, and he found
lots of new pursuits to keep himself engaged.

But unbeknownst to him, the machinery in his old factory didn't have the
same staying power, and shortly after he left the company a fault developed.
The new engineer couldn't work out the problem.  The production line was
halted, vendors were called in, lots of expensive head-scratching but no
solution.  Everyone was pulling their hair out, customers were screaming,
pure corporate carnage.

The factory boss called up his old engineer.  "Mate!  We have a problem
with the plant!"

"That's bad for you," his ex-employee replied, "Why is it my problem?"

"We've tried everything. We can't fix it.  Can we trouble you to come back
in to help us get back online?  No expense spared!"

The engineer reluctantly agreed.  He drove back into his old workplace,
stood on the factory floor for a few minutes quietly listening to the hum and
rhythm of the plant, then, barely hesitating, made a chalk mark on a pipe.
"Drill an inspection hole there, you'll find it's blocked. That's your problem,"
then he left.

In his absence they drilled the hole, found the blockage, patched it
up and everything returned to normal.  Brilliant result!

Several weeks later, the CFO hit the roof.  The engineer had sent his
bill:  "Rectification of machinery fault: $1,000,000."  The matter was
escalated all the way to the CEO, who declared that there was no
possible way that 5 minutes of work could possibly be charged at a
million bucks, and demanded an itemized bill to get to the bottom of it.

The engineer sighed.  "Fine," he said, "I'll send you an itemized bill."
Days later, it arrived, and it looked like this:

Callout fee $250
Travel @ $100 per hour $100
Piece of chalk $0.10
Knowing where to put the chalk mark $999,649.90

Total: $1,000,000

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au<mailto:newton at internode.com.au> (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  newton at atdot.dotat.org<mailto:newton at atdot.dotat.org>  (H)