[AusNOG] Fwd: SEEK Executive JobMail - 1 new jobs for SeekCTO

Michael Herman mgh at historyhound.com
Fri Sep 10 20:30:13 EST 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Glenn Powell <Glenno at glenno.com> wrote:

>  I was asked by a colleague the other day as to what will happen to
> those customers currently on ADSL but outside the footprint of NBN
> fibre. Having not seen this discussed to date made me wonder how these
> customers will be handled.
>
> Will they get a raw deal of being transposed to NBN Wireless (which
> might be a step back in speed etc). Or will this allow Telstra to
> innovate with whatever the future holds for Copper (VDSL2, bonded 2 pairs etc)
>
> Glenn.

Having asked this question of both the DBCDE and NBNCo, I am still waiting
on anything remotely looking like an answer.

They did provide some waffle about the USOCo being established to take
responsibility for the delivery of the USO and other public interest
obligations, but didn't actually answer the question.

<DBCDE response>
The Government’s objective is to connect at least 90 per cent of premises
with fibre to the premises technology providing speeds of 100 megabits per
second, 100 times faster than some people experience today. For the
remaining premises, next generation wireless and satellite technologies will
deliver 12 megabits per second or more, again much faster than most people
currently experience.
</response>

Me, I'm expecting the joy that is satellite latency.

Rgds,

mgh