[AusNOG] Conroy's net filter still alive and kicking

Vitaly Osipov vitaly.osipov at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 15:45:56 EST 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 3:37 PM, James Troy (PageUp/AU/VIC)
<jamest at pageuppeople.com> wrote:

> Secondly this is the hook/starting point to get ISP's to keep records of
> all our traffic on the net. It lays the foundation.

Sure, this lays the foundation, especially the transparent proxy part
of the scheme - but what for? Surveillance state? Australia as a
guinea pig for the global adoption of this scheme? A vendor hoping to
sell equipment? Some vague future data mining applications by ATO? ;)
Cyberwar games (= an attempt to define a state border on the
Internet)?

Imagination runs wild...

Vitaly