[AusNOG] LNS Thoughts

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Wed Sep 8 12:51:47 EST 2010

Hi Skeeve,

On 08/09/2010, at 12:46 AM, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> We’ve been having a lot of discussion internally, with customers and people in the industry in the last few months about what people are doing regarding DSL LNS’s for Small/Medium ISPs.
>
> With the advent of faster DSL tails, MetroE, Mobile Broadband and so on, the throughput of Cisco G1’s and G2’s are fast becoming outdated.
>
> I’m just wondering what other people are using for LNSs which can handle 1k-4k DSL servers these days – or other suggestions.
>
> The Juniper MX80 is coming with LNS functionality, but isn’t here yet... but looks nice for the bang for buck when it is an option.  Anyone else have thoughts?

The M7i or M10i might be an option until the MX80 feature set catches up with the Trio cards.  The price point should be a bit lower and you'll be able to get the in-box redundancy with the M10i. They can be licensed to handle between 2 and 8K subs, the only limiting factor would be throughput - 1Gbps FD per PIC slot on both.

Cheers,

Ben