[AusNOG] LNS Thoughts

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Wed Sep 8 11:37:20 EST 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Julien Goodwin <ausnog at studio442.com.au> wrote:

> As to the ERX line, for my point of view they are a line with no future,
> but Juniper did confirm they have an actual feature roadmap and plans
> for support for many years. They have thousands of them out in *very*
> large customers who would stop buying much more expensive TX Matrixes if
> burnt. I wouldn't buy them, but then I wouldn't buy an SSG (NetScreen,
> now replaced by JunOS running SRX) either.

<former life story>

That's amusing, but the reality is that customers who installed the TX
Matrix have already been burnt, many times over.

Now I expect stupid bugs in early release software, but the chassis
reloading when SNMP polled (!!) indicate you're not ready to be
releasing the product to anyone.

Multi-chassis has a massive-failing: the cables are too expensive and
have to be custom built (read: 4-10 weeks delivery timeframes which
slip regularly), and always considered to be the problem when issues
occur, rather than the much more likely case of the issues being
router software or OS kernel bugs.

Hopefully these products suck a lot less now?