[AusNOG] Katter backs Coalition - Windsor backs Gillard

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Tue Sep 7 18:38:15 EST 2010

On 07/09/2010, at 5:39 PM, Mark Newton wrote:

>> My personal bet is that most of regional won't even care (speaking from experience as my father is regional).
>
> My experience is that regional people care A LOT to get broadband, it
> really changes their lives.  Simple things, like being able to stay in touch
> with the kids who have moved to the City via VoIP and videochat
>
> But they also don't care how fast it is.  Again, in my experience.

	"The only way you can predict the future is to build it." - Alan Kay

i used to think having lots of bandwidth was overrated too.  but one case in point is the degree to which i use HD videoconferencing practically every workday.
for me, its meant i can actually be _more_ productive working from home, not going into the office and not having to fly across the pacific a dozen or more times a year like i used to.

that is but one use of "broadband" with decent upstream capacity today.  i'm quite sure there will be countless more examples in the future.
granted the likes of Cisco Telepresence is not exactly 'commodity' but clearly decent video not postage-stamp video that breaks up the moment you wave your hands is going to be one of the obvious use cases.

>   - mark
>     [ who, for the record, is on a Telstra 8 Mbps ADSL1 port with congested
>       backhaul, in a RIM -- But, like, whatever. ]

you'll get the NBN quicker than i do then.

i'm on ADSL2+ on iinet, but with an increasing number of bridge taps appearing recently, grrr..   at least what is proposed doesn't have contractors messing with existing cables that degrade existing services.

cheers,

lincoln.
NB. i bet David and Terry are having a beer, happy that they don't need radical changes to the AusNOG-04 programme.