[AusNOG] Telstra move to close exchange worries rivals

Chris Pollock Chris.Pollock at staff.pipenetworks.com
Tue Sep 7 10:07:03 EST 2010

Keiran,

Aside from the fact that the only wide-spread networks in this country
that are any good were paid for by the Government (NextG, current copper
infrastructure), this plan appears to be a two-part Tiger Uppercut; kick
competitors out of the exchanges legally by shutting them down, then
prevent access to the replacement.  It'd be worth its weight in gold,
they could effectively close the Aus ISP market overnight.  Imagine
having the market to yourself when you have the ability to prevent your
competitors from deploying DSLAMs.

Ever tried to become a Telstra ULL customer?  They don't want to do it,
they -have- to.  This is an opportunity to take back the ground that
iiNet/Internode/TPG/Primus & co made up by deploying their own DSLAMs
into TEBA.

If you are currently selling ULL-based services as your primary revenue
stream and this doesn't make you nervous, I'd like some of your soma
please.

--
Chris Pollock
Technical & Install Manager

PPC-1 is now live!
6900 km, 20 Months, 2.56 Tbps, 12.5 kilovolts, $200 Million and 100%
Australian Owned.
http://www.pipeinternational.com

Mobile :  +61 4 1074 7765
Phone :  +61 7 3233 9813
Fax     :  +61 7 3233 9885
Web    :  www.pipenetworks.com

ns/telstra-move-to-close-exchange-worries-rivals/story->
fn4iyzsr-1225913520295