[AusNOG] AAB Statement

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Thu Sep 2 19:16:22 EST 2010

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 09:29:57 +1000
Andrew Fort <afort at choqolat.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Mark Smith
> <nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 08:19:30 +1000
> > Andrew Fort <afort at choqolat.org> wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Mark Smith

> >> You mean, like email and file transfer? :)
> >>

> > When I first started using the Internet in the early 90s, I generally
> > think usenet news was probably the most popular application, with email
> > and FTP being close seconds.
> >
> > The recent resurgence in usenet is only really as a substitute for file
> > transfers. usenet for what it was originally designed for is
> > effectively dead.
>
> "Replaced" by yahoo/google groups.

The issue I'm highlighting is that before the WWW, the only
applications that generally generated international traffic were usenet
and email, and with usenet's distribution method, it is likely only one
or no more than a few copies of usenet content that traversed
international links. At the time you were also strongly encouraged to
use local mirrors for FTP (mirror.aarnet.edu.au being one I can
remember). So bulk file transfers were limited to Australia, with a
trickle of relatively low bandwidth traffic traversing international
links.

Then the web came along with graphics, and URLs that requested traffic
from overseas literally at the click of a button (I felt as though
I'd violated an important rule of Australian Internet use the first
time I clicked a link and it sent my request overseas, without me
realising that's what it would do - you couldn't see URLs in browsers
in those days by hovering the mouse pointer over them). Within a few
years, the traffic matrix of the Internet in Australia would have
changed dramatically, and quite unexpectedly.