[AusNOG] AAB Statement

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at staff.pipenetworks.com
Thu Sep 2 16:52:32 EST 2010

Hi Andrew,

> Another thing that also has me confused, is how can we honestly say "We don't feel/Australia does not need 1Gbps".
> Now, I will be honest and forth coming to say that my experience in the industry is far less than some of you titans here - but I don't see how we can be bold enough to make such a statement.

We stated:

"For the short to medium term we see, globally, no demonstrated mass requirement for the “up to 1Gbps” speeds to homes and SOHO. Instead, we see the greatest priority is giving broadband to those who don‟t have any, not faster broadband to those that have."

If I were to prioritise of 'need' I would say those that are without any choice NEED a broadband choice.  It's a 'bold' statement in so far as there is some future gazing here, but I think people confuse need/desire and want/not prepared to pay.

Remember we are talking short/medium term and used the word 'need'.

[b]