[AusNOG] AAB Statement

Curtis Bayne curtis at bayne.com.au
Thu Sep 2 15:25:32 EST 2010

"Wireless services, as they stand, are simply too vulnerable to interference and interception and they simply cannot be relied upon."

Wireless/Microwave is used extensively (and has been used) for YEARS. Telstra, PowerLink, Optus, VHA, Allegro, Polyfone, BigAir, NuSkope, WorldWithoutWires, LinkNet, Tekhaus, HaleNet, Internode, NextGen, Silk Telecom, Amcom, Vertel and COUNTLESS other ISPs/telcos have been using it and continue to do so for backhaul and end-user access. Hell, the entire AT&T Long Lines network used TDM over microwave as the preferred carriage technology for the US continental PSTN for decades.

Sure, before that there was a little troposcatter, but we won't talk about that because kylstrons belong in HVDC amirite? ;)

Power companies have been using fixed wireless for telemetry/remote metering and BILLIONS of people around the world have been using GSM/CDMA for telephony/data services for over a decade.

Wireless is a proven technology and it is viable for delivering broadband services to remote users. In fact, it is the preferred method of delivering capacity for remote users. Keep in mind that remote users are far more sparsely populated than regional (CBD) deployments and will not encounter the same spectrum saturation issues present in metro deployments.

My (non-expert) opinion would be that, for the predominance of users in these areas, a well engineered, unlicensed P2MP setup with appropriate consideration to eliminate cross-cell interference would probably be sufficient to deliver 12Mbps to the "last 10%" of users currently not adequately serviced by fixed-line infrastructure. It is very possible to get 100Mbps of P2MP in 20Mhz of spectrum with TDMA WiFi gear. The output power limitations in the ISM band would (hopefully) prevent over saturation and interference and co-ordination between WISPs goes a long way to making this a very viable technology.

Anyone that concerned about security will be handling this at L2-3 independently of whatever the carriage provider is doing.