[AusNOG] AAB Statement

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Wed Sep 1 08:02:13 EST 2010

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 18:16:58 +1000
James Spenceley <james at vocus.com.au> wrote:

> Noggers,
>
> As Bev foreshadowed yesterday the 'NBN 3.0: The Alliance for Affordable Broadband" document has now been released.
>
> If you are interested in adding your name to it please contact one of us.
>
> Document is available here ...
>
> http://www.vocus.com.au/media/AAB_Final2.pdf

I'd like to see latency goals mentioned. For a lot of applications, the
bandwidth isn't starting to matter as much as the latency (DNS lookup
RTTs of e.g. 200ms can make the web look slow).

It might also be worth coming with the a definitive definition of what
"broadband" is, because you can't really judge what suitable
technologies are until you have those parameters. For example, 4G might
be able to go up to speeds of 100Mbps, but if it has a link latency of
100ms-200ms (I don't know, I'm making some estimations based on 3G
experiences), the amount of bandwidth won't matter to people using
interactive or latency sensitive applications.

One thought I've had is that people should be able to watch ABC iView
as a minimum, as that is our government provided web content source,
which means a minimum of 1.5 Mbps for bandwidth, and I'd say something
like no more than 50-75ms link latency.