[AusNOG] Brisbane gets "NBN" early??

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Oct 15 15:55:04 EST 2010

  On 15/10/2010 10:27 AM, David Hughes wrote:
> Hey Paul
>
> On 15/10/2010, at 9:03 AM, Paul Brooks wrote:
>
>>  From the reading I've done, it looks like an i3/H20 proposal after much lobbying and demonstrations being given permission to build and pay for the network, rather than an initiaitive driven by BCC.
> Ok, I think I missed something here.  I thought they were pushing this as a cost effective way to build-out the NBN.  Is this a proposal to build out another, parallel fibre network that will compete with NBN delivered services?

The latter - this is completely different and possibly parallel to the NBN deployment.
In one article I read, the BCC was dissatisfied that they coldn't get a deployment
date committment for Brisbane out of NBN Co, or couldn't get themselves escalated to
the front of the queue, so they are running this other network out earlier.
In addition, elements in BCC are extremely and vociferously opposed to GPON as a
technology platform for a fibre access network - not FANS at all (boom tish)

P.

--
Paul Brooks               |         Mob +61 414 366 605
Layer 10 Advisory         |         Ph  +61 2 9402 7355