[AusNOG] Brisbane gets "NBN" early??

phil colbourn philcolbourn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 21:01:19 EST 2010

This seems to have some useful info:

http://www.itwire.com/it-industry-news/strategy/40309-broadband-fibre-via-sewer-mooted-for-brisbane?start=1

Some quotes:

"Brisbane-based I3 Asia Pacific has connected two Brisbane City Council
premises with a fibre optic cable that runs through the sewer network. The
two locations are 1.4km apart."

So, they ran a point-to-point optical fibre 1.4km long in a sewer pipe and
it worked! Amazing.

"microtrenching cuts a slot around 600mm deep and 20mm wide in which the
cable is laid"

"...currently undergoing testing in the UK to UK, AUstralian and New Zealand
standards..."

"i3 also produces GPON splitter units."

..."a typical installation by I3 would run fibre to an area through the most
available conduit (possibly the sewers). From there, microtrenching would be
used to service clusters of around 15 homes, taking the fibre into the
building using Atlantis or in a loose dug trench."

So it looks like they 'could' use the sewer. Perhaps it is a method to
attract media attention?

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Brent Paddon <brent at overthewire.com.au>wrote:

> Sorry, should have been more specific.  I know the firm was named, but does
> anyone know them, had dealings, known of prior projects O/S, etc..
>
> Brent
>
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Shaun Deans :: BlueFibre <
> s.deans at bluefibre.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Lets try that again….
>>

>> In the article that you posted Brent
>>

>> The deal with Brisbane-based multinational i3 Asia Pacific would provide
>> homes and businesses access to 100 megabits-per-second broadband, the same
>> speeds the federal Labor government plans to offer on its broadband network.
>>
>> i3 would act as a wholesaler, providing broadband capability to existing
>> telecommunication retailers, such as Telstra and Optus
>>
>> He said i3 Asia Pacific was rolling out a similar scheme for the whole of
>> Scotland and had successfully operated similar schemes in the United Kingdom
>> since 2002.
>>
>> About 15,000 homes per month would be able to access the network after the
>> rollout begins.
>>
>> * *

Phil

http://philatwarrimoo.blogspot.com
http://code.google.com/p/snmp2xml

"Someone has solved it and uploaded it for free."

"If I have nothing to hide, you have no reason to look."

Arthur C. Clarke - Who does magic today?