[AusNOG] Network Operators Unite Against SORBS

Sean K. Finn sean.finn at ozservers.com.au
Wed Oct 13 16:39:39 EST 2010

Hi Ian,

Sorry let me summarise it for you in language that EVERYBODY can understand.

I believe it's called a RANSOM. That's the word you are looking for.

From the Oxford Dictionary:
http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0686690#m_en_gb0686690

Pronunciation:/ˈrans(ə)m/
noun
a sum of money demanded or paid for the release of a captive

[mass noun] the holding or freeing of a captive in return for payment of a ransom:
the capture and ransom of the king

verb
[with object]
obtain the release of (a captive) by paying a ransom:
the lord was captured in war and had to be ransomed
hold (a captive) and demand a ransom for their release
release (a captive) after receiving a ransom

*** OR if that wasn’t clear enough, Oxford spells it out a different way: ***

Phrases

hold someone to ransom
hold someone captive and demand payment for their release
demand concessions from a person or organization by threatening damaging action