[AusNOG] POE and patch cables and panels

Bruce Forster bruce at tubes.net.au
Fri Oct 8 17:03:45 EST 2010

Hey Noggers,

I've been thinking about how to make cabinets cleaner and neater and we use
a lot of POE injectors so my plan to clean up the racks is this:

.         External cable runs get patched into a panel

.         0.5m patches from the panel to the poe

.         0.5m patches from the poe to the switch

So my question is this, now it may seem a little dumb however:

When using POE up to 48v is there any additional risks in using a patch
panel? It's another couple of break points in the run between devices and
the switch, has anyone had any bad experiences at all using the above
methods or any recommendations?

Cheers,

bruce