[AusNOG] Consumer HD Teleconferencing

Bill Walker bill at wjw.co.nz
Fri Oct 8 08:54:24 EST 2010

 On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 23:58:39 +1030, Mark Smith
 <nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 09:09:58 +1000
> Andrew Oskam <percy at th3interw3bs.net> wrote:
>
>> I guess the biggest problem that people see with this selling point
>> is that your average Joe won't be doing HD Teleconferencing.

 With the advances in Webcams and applications like Skype it's quite
 likely home users will be using HD cameras in the next few years.
 Laptops already have 640x480 cams built in, so your average Joe who
 walks into DSE and buys a laptop is likely to have an HD camera built in
 by 2012.

 My Wifes parents in the UK who are techophobes are thinking of buying a
 laptop purely for seeing the grandkids. Right now they head round to my
 parents house to use Skype video and MSN video calling.

 Skype will degrade the video quality if the network connection isn't up
 to it, when that happens it tells you so, so who are the going to call
 and complain? Their service provider of course...