[AusNOG] Ans So It Begins

Phil Pierotti phil.pierotti at platformnetworks.net
Wed Oct 6 10:42:57 EST 2010

seen in CommsDay today.

Regards,

Phil Pierotti
Network Operations Manager
Platform Networks
www.platformnetworks.net<http://www.platformnetworks.net>
ph. 1300 854 678

From: Matt Shadbolt [mailto:matt.shadbolt at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 6 October 2010 10:38 AM
To: Phil Pierotti
Cc: ausnog
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Ans So It Begins

Have you got an article/link on this Phil?

Matt.
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Phil Pierotti <phil.pierotti at platformnetworks.net<mailto:phil.pierotti at platformnetworks.net>> wrote:
"The federal government has confirmed that circumventing the proposed internet filter could constitute a
criminal offence, and said it has not received any evidence suggesting the policy will lead to an increase in
encrypted internet traffic."

Maybe I'm just getting old-n-senile but I'd swear that previously we had been *very clearly* told that circumventing the filter would *not* be a crime.

So:
- as an ISP failing to implement the filter is a criminal offence.
- as a customer circumventing the filter is a criminal offence
- giving advice on how to perform criminal acts is (I'd assume) a criminal offence
- so teaching people about ways to circumvent the filter is a criminal offence

I'd say that someone's been watching too many Simpsons episodes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgR0m-9FmM