[AusNOG] Killing the bots with user help. WAS Re: NBN must avoid becoming 'failed state'

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Tue Oct 5 12:14:26 EST 2010

On Oct 5, 2010, at 5:34 AM, Terry Manderson wrote:

> Is the support component too much of a hit to approach this? ie unable to apportion the costs of this elsewhere?

Qwest were initially quite worried about both support costs and user reaction - they found that, overall, their support costs *decreased* because of users finding out about their compromised machines and cleaning/re-installing them, and they also found that customers were grateful to understand why their (compromised, unbeknownst to the customer )machines were running slowly and acting weirdly, heh.

The technology Qwest use can certainly be scaled up or down (it's based upon Squid); I'm not familiar with the architecture of Comcast's offering.

 	       Sell your computer and buy a guitar.