[AusNOG] NBN Legislation

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Tue Nov 30 00:15:19 EST 2010

On 27/11/2010 3:23 PM, Dmitri Kalintsev wrote:

> And yeah, the service that you need to be able to supply should be compliant with
> the Division 5A, "Technical Standards", whatever they will turn out to be.

It is likely that the drafting of the Technical Standard will be done within a
workgroup of Communications Alliance - which means all CA members will have the chance
to be part of that workgroup, and help steer the drafting, features and
characteristics that will be in or out etc - and along the way, there will be at least
one public comment stage of the draft, possibly more, before the 'agreed draft'  is
handed to ACMA.

Whether or not the initial draft is done by CA or another body (an NBN Co document
might be used as a base) , the Technical Standards will be 'made' by the ACMA - which
means a ACMA public consultation process where there will be a public draft (or series
of them) made available with the opportunity for all to comment and suggest changes to
etc. before the Technical Standard is finalised by ACMA.

Everyone will have one, and probably more than one, opportunity to comment and shape
the TS before it is finalised.

> Also, by reading the definition of "superfast carriage service":
>
> */superfast carriage service/* means a carriage service, where:
>
>                      (a)  the carriage service enables end-users to download
> communications; and
>
>                      (b)  the download transmission speed of the carriage service is
> normally more than 25 megabits per second; and
>
>                      (c)  the carriage service is supplied using a line to premises
> occupied or used by an end-user.

item (c) implies this issue only affects access networks - it doean't affect long-haul
networks, or anything that runs between datacentres, or any international link (I'm
not aware of any international cables that terminate in an end-users bedroom.), or any
link between two carriers or CSPs.

"The rule would not apply, however, to point-to-point connections
provided to single individual government or corporate end-users or proprietary
networks (consistent with recommendation 73 of the NBN Implementation Study)."

Sounds like they've managed to exclude their own ICON network in Canberra from the requirements, and dark fibre links between DR sites.

Paul.