[AusNOG] Fail-over DSL Question

Andrew Oskam percy at th3interw3bs.net
Thu Nov 25 17:59:53 EST 2010

Hi Noggers,

I’ve never actually delved into fail-over redundancy services before and wanted to ask the experts for their input/experiences.

My client has a 2+ Telstra ADSL Tail and is concerned about having downtime and as such wants to do everything possible to prevent loss of money and service.

They also have an Aristel Digital Control Unit for routing calls across 3x PSTN lines. There are 2 other lines for which 1 is for their fax and the other for ADSL.

I’d like to know what kind of work and hardware is required to get a fail-over DSL service. Any hardware recommendations is most appreciated.

I have been considering using their fax line (which is on a separate line already) as the fail-over line and just throwing on a low-cost plan on there with a different ISP.

Suggestions anyone?

On a slightly separate note, my client is also considering moving their “in-house” file-server over to a VM and are looking for a data-center that can offer hosting (Brisbane Preferred).

If you have anything to offer or know any companies please contact me off-list.

Thanks,

      Andrew Oskam

      E  percy at th3interw3bs.net

NOTICE:

These comments are my own personal opinions only and do not necessarily reflect the positions or opinions of my employer or their affiliates. All comments are based upon my current knowledge and my own personal experiences. You should conduct independent tests to verify the validity of any statements made in this email before basing any decisions upon those statements.