[AusNOG] Anyone run across any incompatibilities between Telstra's NEC DSLAM's and Cisco ADSL routers?

Jason Martin jason at suenomartino.net
Wed Nov 17 09:25:48 EST 2010

Hi Justin,

Telstra have supplied 877's to business customers for various products in the tens of thousands and
NEC DSLAMS (AM-35s and AM-31s) are found right throughout the Telstra ASDL network. I haven't
heard of any incompatibility issues between the two.

Without knowing any of the details of your customer's fault (ie: type of fault, type of service, who
investigated it, etc), it sounds like your customer has been given a fairly vague reasoning for the
cause of the fault. ADSL is mysterious beast though, so its certainly worth trying another modem a
with different DSL chipset on an service that is suffering from intermittent problems.

Jason