[AusNOG] Anyone run across any incompatibilities between Telstra's NEC DSLAM's and Cisco ADSL routers?

Daniel Hooper dhooper at emerge.net.au
Tue Nov 16 17:27:09 EST 2010

Hi,

Seen something similar in Kalgoorlie WA about 5-6 years ago.

A provider had rolled out about 30-40 Cisco 8xx's, unfortunately I didn't know what DSLAM gear was in the exchanges but they quickly had us run around and deploy Dlink ADSL routers& return the cisco's.

Later down the track the provider installed its own DSLAM's so I never found out the cause of the problem.

Possibly it was just a large cock up on the providers behalf as I had plenty of other customers running on Telstra based DSLAM equipment with Cisco's at the time and the provider had not applied a firmware update to the DSL interface.

It was just really odd though that they replaced the lot with DLINK's and then rolled out their own DSLAM's.

Regards,

Daniel Hooper | Systems Administrator | Emerge Technologies | ph 08 9080 5100 | fax 08 9021 0222 | 3/72 Brookman St, Kalgoorlie WA, 6430 | dhooper at emerge.net.au<mailto:dhooper at emerge.net.au>