[AusNOG] iPhone serial port

Chris Pollock Chris.Pollock at staff.pipenetworks.com
Fri Nov 5 14:07:51 EST 2010

I saw that one announced this week, it's a Redpark design commissioned
by Southern Stars. I've been hearing 'it will be here next month' since
February.  The problem with 'apple approved, don't need to jailbreak'
serial ports is that they have to have applications that use them to go
with them.  It's part of the rules for making Apple Approved hardware
accessories.

Without a terminal program, which you only get from jailbreaking, I
guess I don't see the point.  Unless someone wants to write an app-store
approved terminal application?  Any iDevs on AusNOG interested?

The SkyWire looks perfect for that application, although it kind of
defeats the purpose of it when you have a massive cable hanging off it,
then needing to put a regular console cable on the end.  For me anyway,
the point of the iPhone serial port was to have a tiny adapter I could
leave in my bag and plug in any old cat5 cable.

But more power to 'em!  Hopefully we'll see some more serial accessories
in the coming months if this one makes it to market.

--
Chris Pollock
Technical & Install Manager

PPC-1 is now live!
6900 km, 20 Months, 2.56 Tbps, 12.5 kilovolts, $200 Million and 100%
Australian Owned.
http://www.pipeinternational.com <http://www.pipeinternational.com/>

Mobile :  +61 4 1074 7765
Phone :  +61 7 3233 9813
Fax     :  +61 7 3233 9885
Web    :  www.pipenetworks.com <http://www.pipenetworks.com/>

size=2 width="100%" align=center tabindex=-1>