[AusNOG] AusLog

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Tue Nov 2 22:08:37 EST 2010

Firstly, I"m curious why you dropped Ausnog from the CC, and added Link
List <link at anu.edu.au>?

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 21:40:57 +1100
Paul Brooks <pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au> wrote:

> On 2/11/2010 8:16 PM, Mark Smith wrote:
> > It seems to me that the 14 NBN POIs would be ideal locations to put the
> > filtering and logging devices. There doesn't seem to be a guarantee
> > the CSAs will be built, and as there's likely to be very large amounts
> > of telecommunications infrastructure at these POIs, they'll possibly
> > also be likely locations for aggregation of wireless services. The
> > government, by law, forcing private telecommunications organisations to
> > use the NBN, rather than allowing them to build alternative and
> > topologically diverse competitive infrastructure, as has been
> > suggested, may well be somewhat driven by this political agenda.
>
> Highly unlikely location for the publicly discussed civilian logging devices, and even
> less likely location for filtering, given the POIs deal only in ethernet VLANs, while
> the filtering proposal is all about URL detection and re-direction which occurs at
> IP-and-higher session-aware locations  back in the ISPs data centres.

I suggest you investigate further what DPI devices are capable of and
how they operate. For a start they don't appear in traceroutes ...

> "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence. "-
> Napoleon Bonaparte
>
> or more modern..
>
> Many journalists have fallen for the conspiracy theory of government. I do assure you
> that they would produce more accurate work if they adhered to the cock-up theory.
>
>     —Sir Bernard Ingham

Really? Surely democratically elected governments never get up to that
sort of thing.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/04/70619

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_warrantless_surveillance_controversy