[AusNOG] AusLog

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Tue Nov 2 20:16:24 EST 2010

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 10:24:24 +1100
Ben McGinnes <ben at adversary.org> wrote:

> On 2/11/10 10:11 AM, Kai wrote:
> > Mmmmm, between Conroy's censorship and AusLog, I don't like where this is going...
> >
> > Neuromancing the stone: Ludlam’s OzLog war
> > http://delimiter.com.au/2010/10/29/neuromancing-the-stone-ludlams-ozlog-war/
>
> You might be interested in this post from Stilgherrian then:
>
> http://stilgherrian.com/politics/data-retention-by-isps-your-comments/
>
> It's the last 50 minutes of the Committee hearing on Friday where
> Ludlam is questioning personnel from the Attorney-General's Department
> and the AFP.
>
> There's also the transcript in Hansard:
>
> http://www.aph.gov.au/hansard/senate/commttee/S13330.pdf
>
> The data retention bit begins on page 58 (64 of the PDF) and goes to
> the end.

It seems to me that the 14 NBN POIs would be ideal locations to put the
filtering and logging devices. There doesn't seem to be a guarantee
the CSAs will be built, and as there's likely to be very large amounts
of telecommunications infrastructure at these POIs, they'll possibly
also be likely locations for aggregation of wireless services. The
government, by law, forcing private telecommunications organisations to
use the NBN, rather than allowing them to build alternative and
topologically diverse competitive infrastructure, as has been
suggested, may well be somewhat driven by this political agenda.