[AusNOG] Google creepier than Conroy?

Robert Loomans robertl at apnic.net
Mon May 31 12:33:19 EST 2010

On 31/05/2010, at 11:12, Noel Butler wrote:

> I see no valid reason as to why they need to do this in the first place. They come across as creepy snoops, it may only be morally wrong to "drive around with full intent to record any and all wireless AP SSID's", but none the less, they should be spanked for it.

I disagree: I expect it will be found to be perfectly legal for them to collect the SSIDs, and I don't believe there is anything morally wrong about it (morals are exceedingly relative, so YMMV), so I don't think they should be brought to task for that...

...and, as I said, they aren't the only ones doing it.

Rob

Robert Loomans                         email:       robertl at apnic.net
Senior Software Engineer, APNIC        sip:    robertl at voip.apnic.net
http://www.apnic.net/                  phone:         +61 7 3858 3100