[AusNOG] Google creepier than Conroy?

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sun May 30 17:51:01 EST 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 16:18 +1000, Craig Askings wrote:
> Why do I get the feeling that Dale Clapperton is lurking on this list
> and just shaking his head as we all play Telco Solictor..... Badly

There are at least (members of this list) that I know that one is a
barrister, and the other a QC, I can imagine the head shaking from
both :)
but everyone on the net loves to play lawyer, "I know, so my
interpretation is right",  "nor, you wrong", "no, you're wrong because i
am right"  *sigh*

that said, my weekend lawyer hat goes on now with couple inline
comments :)

> On 30/05/2010, at 4:04 PM, phil colbourn <philcolbourn at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > I did say 'if'. I think that a WiFi network was never envisioned by
> > the authors of the Act, and a telecoms system was meant to be
> > something like a PSTN - phone to network - phone (except the wires
> > aren't included for some reason).

Likely the first correct thing I've read all afternoon

> > Actually, I don't think that the Act covers all data either as it
> > seems to focus on person - to -person communications.

it does if it traverses any part of a telecommunications network.

> > So I disagree with myself - not all data is 'communications' and so
> > not covered by the Act.

correct, but only if that wifi access point sits there talking to a LAN
only with no access to a phone line or BB cable system
but then Privacy Act comes a calling,  and possibly other things, like
criminal codes etc.

and finally, Google are scumbuckets, they knew fully well what was going
on, only they got caught out and had to come public, interception or no
interception, what gives those wa...s the right to sniff out ANYTHING,
even an SID, they need to be brought to justice here as well, they are
in Germany, and IIRC some states in the U.S are taking or considering
action, they need to be taught a darn good lesson, globally.

Cheers