[AusNOG] Google creepier than Conroy?

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Sun May 30 15:23:13 EST 2010

On 30/05/2010, at 1:33 PM, Bevan Slattery wrote:

> Phil,
>
>>> The data or data fragments that Google may have collected was
>> unintentional - they clearly don't need it to do geo-location
>> - and it would be difficult to associate it with a particular
>> individual or business - like taking a photo in a public place.
>
> First, grabbing such information isn't so they can use it to create a
> geo-reference.  They capture it so they can attach it to a
> geo-reference.  Having someone's MAC address or IP address along with
> the 'photo' taken at that time, along with the position of the car,
> which is then cross referenced to the GNAF database is what is going on
> here.  So they will know that at any physical address where a photo is
> captured, so too is the IP address, MAC address and whatever other
> information was transmitted.  Handy to know that when you log-in to your
> Gmail account or any of the millions of sites that run ad-words.

I don't think the MAC address would be useful in doing geolocation.

IP address maybe, but most IPs on unsecured wifi would be, at the moment, behind NAT, so you might see a lot of 192.168 addresses for example for the "customer" side.

So, you'd have to capture a fair bit of data in order to look deeper into a bit stream to find other data to cross reference to generate much more useful data.  (eg.  http cookies etc).   You'd need a bit longer to grab that kind of frame level.

Probably much more than you'd get driving past for a few seconds at each house.    You'd have to see some frames with http cookies or something.   You'd also have to be driving past whilst something was communicating and using an insecure wifi service.   Except for basic WEP, if you're using something more modern (WPA etc) then my understanding is that you'd need more than a few seconds of data to get enough to reverse engineer the keys. (note: I'm not entirely up on the research here).

Given that the Google cars were driving around during the day (for good light), it seems the data would be fairly incomplete (most people aren't at home during the day) compared to looking at 802.11 itself for doing Geolocation based on basic 802.11 details.

So, it's not clear to me if they actually recorded data which would have been that useful.

MMC