[AusNOG] IPv6 Article on CNN

Kevin Karp ausnog at pps.com.au
Sun May 30 12:24:21 EST 2010

Hi Skeeve

 >Problem is... doomsday articles are sometimes the only way to motivate
people.

Really?
Surely self-interest is a far greater motivator. I don't think that you
can use self-preservation as a motivator in this instance (see below).
You have to show the rewards that are available that are otherwise
unachievable with the current regime.

>I believe the impact of Y2K was minimalised due to peoples preparation mostly due to the many
>  doomsday hype articles.

The accompanying exaggeration (and subsequent self-enrichment) is part of the reason why many
non-IT industry insiders are justifiably sceptical of doomsday messages from the IT industry.

And anyway the doomsday message is just not true.

>  People are going to need something to move them to IPv6...
>  and I really don’t care how it happens.  Scare the crap out of them I say!

I'd rather show people the rewards and the profits that are available.

Regards

Kevin

--
STUDENTNET® - Highly Commended: Australian Privacy Awards 2008
    Kevin Karp                            kjk at studentnet.edu.au
    next.studentnet.edu.au                  Tel +61 2 9281 1626
    Suite 1, 89 Jones St
    Ultimo NSW 2007 Australia              Fax +61 2 9281 3047