[AusNOG] Google creepier than Conroy?

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sun May 30 09:49:41 EST 2010

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Bevan Slattery <
Bevan.Slattery at staff.pipenetworks.com> wrote:

> The flagrant disregard for what it is alleged to have occurred is breath
> taking.  Based upon reports (which are yet to be substantiated) there
> has been a systematic and intentional approach to intercepting
> telecommunications services and misappropriate data that was in the most
> part meant to be a private transmission between the user and their home
> DSL wireless gateway.

There's two very distinct elements here, and I think it's worth you
clarifying which of the two you are referring to, as it impacts the majority
of the comments make in your email.

Are you referring to Google's "intentional" (by their admission) capturing
of SSID and MAC address details from Wifi networks as they drove past.

Or are you referring to their "non-intentional" (by their admission)
capturing of user data from those networks?

>From all accounts both occurred, but to treat them as a single item -
especially when referring to intent - makes the presumption that even
someone like Google can't be human occasionally and make a mistake.

  Scott.