[AusNOG] Google creepier than Conroy?

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Sun May 30 09:19:43 EST 2010

On Sun, 30 May 2010 08:40:21 +1000
"Bevan Slattery" <Bevan.Slattery at staff.pipenetworks.com> wrote:

> OK.  I'll wade in here.  I am actually very concerned that a forum for
> supposed Network Operators experts isn't deeply concerned by the
> developments of the Google Street View/War Drive initiative.
>
> Regardless of where you sit with Sen Conroy and the current governments
> RC plan on filtering, and regardless of whether you think the two are
> linked, the fact is that it would appear some very serious breaches of
> privacy legislation and the Telecommunications Act may have occurred.

Remember the old, "assumed innocent until proven guilty"? I'd want to
see the evidence of a breach before I make a judgement, and I certainly
won't place any value on Conroy's assumption of guilt. Considering what
he considers me to be guilty of supporting because I'm against the
Internet filter, I don't place any value at all on his judgements.

Charge Google with a privacy breach if a case can be made, and
let the courts sort it out. That's what they're for.

Here's Google's explanation -

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/wifi-data-collection-update.html

"So how did this happen? Quite simply, it was a mistake. In 2006 an
engineer working on an experimental WiFi project wrote a piece of code
that sampled all categories of publicly broadcast WiFi data. A year
later, when our mobile team started a project to collect basic WiFi
network data like SSID information and MAC addresses using Google’s
Street View cars, they included that code in their software—although
the project leaders did not want, and had no intention of using,
payload data."

So it seems it is as simple an accident of not putting -s 12 on the
tcpdump command line, and code being used outside of the context it was
initially designed to operate in - a quite typical reason for security
breaches.