[AusNOG] web App firewalls.

David Hughes David at hughes.com.au
Fri May 28 16:44:38 EST 2010

On 28/05/2010, at 2:55 PM, PRK wrote:

> How about something like the DDoS prevention on ASM module of the F5s?

Hi PRK,

Well, ASM isn't really a DOS prevention tool to my understanding.  It's a WAF and F5 claim it's a very good one :)  So it's role is to make sure evil things aren't happening within the client / application interaction (sql injection, dodgy cookies etc etc) that could take down your web app.  It's not going to help you in the "I can open more connections than your state table memory can handle" situation.  It's not aimed at resource starvation as far as I'm aware.

David