[AusNOG] PM slams Abbott's plan to scrap NBN

Darren Moss Darren.Moss at em3.com.au
Thu May 20 15:16:52 EST 2010

Hi Noggers,

Interesting article. Telstra also announced they are "still in
discussions" regarding their participation in the NBN. I wonder if the
opposition is taking the Telstra angle of rolling out something not so
big instead.

Credit: The Age
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-national/pm-slams-abbotts-plan-t
o-scrap-nbn-20100520-vfnb.html

PM slams Abbott's plan to scrap NBN
PATRICK CARUANA
May 20, 2010 - 7:09AM

AAP

The opposition's plans to scrap the national broadband network will drag
Australia "back to a horse and cart past", Prime Minister Kevin Rudd
says.
In his budget reply speech last week, Opposition Leader Tony Abbott said
the coalition would scrap the national broadband network (NBN) if
elected.

The building of the NBN has already begun in Tasmania, with Smithton,
Scottsdale and Midway Point to be connected to the high-speed network
from July.

Primus announced its pricing for broadband plans in the three towns on
Wednesday.

The Tasmanian Liberals have defied Mr Abbott and have thrown their
support behind the federal government's plan.

At a community cabinet meeting in Burnie, in northwest Tasmania, Mr Rudd
said the NBN was a critical infrastructure program.

"Broadband here in Australia, frankly, is backward and overpriced," he
told the meeting on Wednesday.

"It's slower and it's more expensive than what is available in most
competitor economies.

"We are in grave danger of being left behind ... (but) we have a chance
to actually leapfrog the rest of the world."

Mr Rudd said the opposition's threats to scrap the NBN would be
disastrous for the country.

"It seems that Mr Abbott has a different view, which is to drag us back
to a horse and cart past," he said.

Communications Minister Stephen Conroy said the NBN would benefit
Tasmania in particular.

"In Tasmania, you have had the slowest and most expensive broadband
anywhere in Australia," he told the meeting.

"One of the reasons we decided to start here in Tasmania was because of
that."

Regards,

Darren Moss
General Manager, Director
[p] 1300 131 083 [f] 03 9017 2287
[e] Darren.Moss at em3.com.au [w] www.em3.com.au <http://www.em3.com.au/>

em3 People and Technology | Managed Technology Experts
postal: PO Box 2333, Moorabbin VIC 3189

New Zealand Airedale Street, Auckland City
postal: PO Box 39573, Howick 2045
[p] 09 92 555 26 [f] 09 887 0273