[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Thu May 20 11:27:51 EST 2010

On 20/05/2010, at 8:48 AM, Ankur Puri wrote:

Having carrier grade NAT will be very hardware intensive and eventually requires substantial capex, which begs a question if it is rather better for carriers and ISPs to look at migration plans to IPv6 than delaying the eventual.

Precisely.

I know I'll need CGNAT boxes.  But considering their expense, I also know
that I'll only ever want to buy them once.  I'll never want to upgrade them
to deal with increased IPv4 network load, so it'll be in my best interest to push
customers to IPv6 as quickly as humanly possible.

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au<mailto:newton at internode.com.au> (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  newton at atdot.dotat.org<mailto:newton at atdot.dotat.org>  (H)