[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

Ankur Puri ankur.puri at ntt.com
Thu May 20 09:18:08 EST 2010

Narelle

The TCP sessions for normal day application like Google maps or iTunes etc.
is quite substantial. There is a limitation of number of sessions than can
pass through the NAT, which is again hardware dependent.

Having carrier grade NAT will be very hardware intensive and eventually
requires substantial capex, which begs a question if it is rather better for
carriers and ISPs to look at migration plans to IPv6 than delaying the
eventual.

Regards

Ankur Puri

NTT Australia Pty Ltd

P: +61 2 8915 8948 | F: +61 2 9251 5749 | M: +61 433 114 275

W: www.au.ntt.com | Global IP Network (GIN): www.ntt.net
<http://www.ntt.net/english>