[AusNOG] AusNOG-Chat

Curtis Bayne curtis at bayne.com.au
Wed May 19 15:02:16 EST 2010

I don't. None of my customers want it. I've tried everything.

I even offered one free v6 data to convince them - the first question from the sysadmin at that organization was whether I knew of any v6-only trackers. Offer withdrawn.

Don't misconstrue me - it's not that I don't believe address exhaustion isn't an issue or even that I'm sticking my head in the sand, it's just that I'm having a hard time justifying to both my clients and to my bank balance a solution to a problem which doesn't exist yet.

The moment it becomes pertinent we will implement, but as it stands, I'm better off putting the money I'd spend on a v6 implementation in the bank and earning interest on it until the problem needs solving, as at this stage, it adds no value to my business.

If anything, v6 is a problem in itself for us. My network is very content laden (and we manage a lot of hosting customers), so there's a strong chance that we'll end up sending even more traffic via transit links for domestic customers with v6 tunnels terminating in the US.

-C