[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

Andrew Cox andrew at accessplus.com.au
Wed May 19 12:46:04 EST 2010

These are basically some of my new recruit interview questions:

Have you ever built your own computer?
What computer related hobbies are you involved in outside of work/study?
What sort of internet connection do you have? (most nerds with a crap
connection will want to explain the reason why :-D)

If you answered with <generic nerdy stuff> you get an extra 100 points.

The ones who are interested in all facets of IT seem to end up the ones
who'll (occasionally) come in late, but always stay later.

- Andrew

On 19/05/2010 11:25 AM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> On 19/05/2010, at 11:19 AM, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
>> When I’m reading resumes and interviewing there are a lot of ‘tells’
>> on how clueful someone is, how passionate they are about what they
>> want to be doing.  And if I get one bit on Gen Y attitude (what is in
>> it for me), then get the hell out.
>
> The passion for the technology and the genuine curiosity is, I think,
> the key.
>
> "What was your favourite shop to visit as a kid?"
>
> If they answer something like Jaycar, local computer shop etc.
>
> "Did you take things apart as a kid?"
>
> "When did you first start to program?"
>
> "When did your family first start asking you for tech advice?"
>
> These are the key questions.   If someone doesn't remember how to
> change duplex then that's just a fact they can learn, but the passion
> to learn and the interest and continual curiosity is what I look for.
>
> MMC

Kind Regards,
Andrew Cox
AccessPlus
Head Network Administrator
Ph: 1300 739 822 (7am - 12 midnight AEST)