[AusNOG] SMH: "No room at the internet"

Kevin Karp ausnog at pps.com.au
Tue May 18 16:30:35 EST 2010

Hi Daniel

 >How many of Australia's ISP's are willing to start handing out IPv6
subnets then?

I've no idea what the number of ISP's are that are willing to do this
especially as we (Studentnet) are not an ISP.

Having said that Studentnet started handing out /64 subnet's to
individual client schools (each school has their own /48 reserved for
future use) in early 2009 and has been allocating further subnets to new
client schools continuously ever since. We have schools using these
Nextmail accounts Australia wide with one school with a Singapore presence.

 > And at what prices?

Well the address allocations come as an incidental feature of a much
larger bundle of collaborative functionality that are charged at per
student pricing per annum of $3.50exGST. Some of the smaller schools are
only paying a few hundred dollars per year.

There is no specific charge for the address allocations as such and you
cannot purchase the product without receiving the allocation so I'm not
sure I've provided much of an answer to your question.

>  Especially to the home user (a.k.a network engineer's test environment).

The schools aren't home users as such, but the students can use their 6in4 transit service from their homes - or anywhere else for that matter.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

--
STUDENTNET® - Highly Commended: Australian Privacy Awards 2008
    Kevin Karp                           kjk at studentnet.edu.au
    next.studentnet.edu.au                  Tel +61 2 9281 1626
    Suite 1, 89 Jones St
    Ultimo NSW 2007 Australia              Fax +61 2 9281 3047
    ABN:90 001 966 892