[AusNOG] 1+1 ports

Darren Ward (darrward) darrward at cisco.com
Sun May 16 12:56:24 EST 2010

It's easier to provide 1+1 for SDH circuits such as EoSDH...

SDH can supply a 1+1 on the client port using the same trunked virtual
circuit (VC) on the back end of the SDH system which provides you
protection against a port your side or their side failing (or patch lead
etc etc)

The signalling mechanism between client and carrier can be multiple
methods such as using the newer EFM/EOAM extensions or as simple as I
turn on and off the protect port according to the status of the working
port...

This single VC can then be protected by different carrier mechanisms
such as SNCP to provide path resiliency through the provider network

But following on from MMC's comment you either need a carrier grade box
your end with separate line cards and ports or a vendor multichassis
technology in order to get the real benefits from it

What you need to do is look at how the failure detection for the service
works and how long the low level failover is, then work out whether that
low level failure can cause reconvergence at the Ethernet and IP layers
to work out the total protection reconvergence time, then you can assess
if the $$$ savings are worth it compared to simply having a second
circuit via a completely different MUX and path

Darren