[AusNOG] Help with NBN questions.

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Thu May 13 15:41:10 EST 2010

On 12/05/2010, at 2:48 PM, Bevan Slattery wrote:

So, if Telstra were still under Government control and say a fibre
company like PIPE Networks decided there was a business case to deliver
competitive backhaul to say 200 exchanges, the reports suggests the
Government should levy said commercial operator out of those markets.

If in this example exchanges means POIs then I doubt that's the case.   The whole argument for where you can gain access to the NBNCo network is based around where POIs have competitive backhaul.

So, if PIPE was to build to some/all of the POIs then I seriously doubt there would be a levy on that.  (At least I hope not - it wouldn't make sense).

The concern from my point of view is balancing last-mile issues.

Whilst I may not mind too much about redundancy and other options for residential, I would want other options to exist for corporate connectivity to ensure that we could get non-NBNCo diversity to sites where that matters.   Being penalised for building fibre out to provide that would seem pretty at odds with sanity.

MMC