[AusNOG] Help with NBN questions.

Bruce Forster bruce at tubes.net.au
Wed May 12 15:29:56 EST 2010

1, for the most part it will more then likely just be another last mile
service provider that they can use, i guess over time it will replace old
dsl services really depends on the grade of services that NBN offer, if they
want to market towards business customers they need to have a higher level
SLA, this will also shape in a great way how the NBN flows into business
grade services and market place.

2, this worries me i work for a company that i guess is in the market place
of helping business's who can't get services delivered or don't want to pay
the high costs of fibre, we currently offer services from 10 to 100mbit,and
even higher if needed, will we be seen as a cherry picker? The business i
work for has been around for a few years now.

It all sounds very communistic and very anti competitive i can only assume
they are trying to stop cherry picking from people like Telstra, but they
can't just hammer one provider so they are going to put everyone in the same
basket.

3, I have no idea

4, once again it all depends on the level of the services offered, we only
have a handful of customers who host there full services onsite, most
business's will use a dc to host the servers, you can't beat the UPS/Genny
and aircon that comes with your hosted services/solutions in data centres
and if you're a real business you're not going to muck about you will host
your stuff in a dc.

I am much like a lot of people on this list i want to know what they mean by
cherry pickers but at the same time i still think at this stage NBN is a
long way from becoming reality and the whole thing could still fall in the
mud, frankly i don't feel its needed and im sure a lot of people on the list
will flame me for this point of view but there are plenty of business's out
there like the one i work for that offer last mile services where the other
big carriers won't go.

My final though is that the NBN will if anything kill competition, providers
will stop building their own networks.

NBN will become the largest last mile provider, i only hope that if the
network gets built it remains the peoples network unlike our old copper
network that was sold off.

Regards,

bruce