[AusNOG] NBNCo releases its response to industry consultation

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 22:36:44 EST 2010

I'm not going to buy into the rest of this argument (today) but I am
astounded that very few of you argued for a larger number of
aggregated service options into the NBN.

So everyone realises they'll have to spend money, time, effort and
energy installing kit at ALL of NBN Co's 200+ fibre serving areas in
order to deliver any services to customers?

Hmm?

Or wait for others to build out wholesale services for you to retail?

How exactly does that promote competition and broader geographic
service delivery, when surely most ISPs - sorry RSPs - will hit what
they think is commercially an easy ROI?

Sure, Telstra's FTTN model of one (or was it two?) points of
interconnect per state ONLY was too far the other way.

I'm just going on NBN Co's response, here, so I have to take it on
good faith that ours was the only submission calling for OPTIONS for
higher service aggregation.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Bevan Slattery
<Bevan.Slattery at staff.pipenetworks.com> wrote:
> Maybe you have missed the mark on having an attack at those DSLAM
> operators "screaming the loudest" who are not prepared to invest in
> competitive infrastructure other than DSLAM's.  These guys just haven't
> invested in DSLAM's, they've actually invested in DSLAM's with BACKHAUL
> (dark fibre) so they can differentiate their products by not just
> offering an ADSL 2+ line speed, but offer an ADSL2+ internet experience
> along with multicast, along with uncontended backhaul.

It's the best way to deliver a standardised, entry level service while
you build your customer base.

If, and when, things take off then you build out your own kit, and
backhaul, at a lower overall cost. If it doesn't, then you
differentiate more on services as a boutique provider with the costs
under control.

cheers

Narelle

--