[AusNOG] NBNCo releases its response to industry consultation

John Edwards john at netniche.com.au
Mon Mar 29 17:18:25 EST 2010

Hi Grahame,

On 29/03/2010, at 4:07 PM, Grahame Lynch wrote:

> Householder: I have Telstra for my phone line and Internode for my broadband. Do they know you are calling me?

Presumably this information is going to be gleaned from the Telstra database, and iterated through various wholesale providers to discover the user's Voice, Broadband, and Alarm monitoring providers, who will ultimately be responsible for migration notification.

The voice port is easy, seeing as the ONT is likely have a PSTN interface - there will be a few casualties like outdoor ringers and forgotten rotary-dial phones, but probably nothing that will cost anyone a vote.

The alarm monitoring part can probably be done through a voice port if the ONT is designed with that feature in mind. I note that you can't even buy ethernet/IP interfaces for alarm modules at their wholesale stores at this point in time, and they don't expect that to change anytime soon.

The broadband part gets tricky as there are currently many configuration variables. I presume the NBN will provide an "I can't believe its not DSL" grade service to cater for non-believers who don't want to spend extra, but they're still going to need to change or remove their CPE.

> It is going to have to be the mother of all awareness campaigns to make this happen smoothly.

Haven't we already seen something like this, from the Government in the form of digital set-top box warning messages, and Service Providers in the form of "Freeview" ads?

John