[AusNOG] NBNCo releases its response to industry consultation

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Mon Mar 29 15:59:15 EST 2010

On 29/03/2010, at 2:53 PM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> On 29/03/2010, at 2:39 PM, Grahame Lynch wrote:
>
>> So while I see what you are saying here, it appears there has been a change of policy or a disconnect in intention at some point. There has been an assumption to date that connections would take place as the network rolled out to the street not when a retail service provider placed an order.
>
> Customer authorisation to install a fibre/ONT/etc wouldn't necessarily require them buying a service.  Just consent to install.

Not if part and parcel of the install is ripping out the copper infrastructure.
The resident would then need to acquire at least one service just to keep the
phone working.

Consider the case of the owner of a multi-unit dwelling giving consent to
install:  Does that mean NBNCo or the property owner will be advocating
tortious interference with any contractual arrangements the tenants have
with their telcos?  What if they're in-contract with fees for breakage,
who'll pay for that?  Or is it really the tenant who needs to approve?  What
if they approve and the owner doesn't?  Deary me.

On the assumption that _someone_ will pay for it, an unscrupulous operator
could make out like a bandit by selling low-$-per-month 5-year contracts
with extortionate break-fees on the assumption that the NBN will break it
before it expires :-)

(And yes:  3... 2... 1...)

  - mark

--