[AusNOG] NBNCo releases its response to industry consultation

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Thu Mar 25 17:03:17 EST 2010

So what, for the places in Australia where the density is approaching or exceeds
that, you should still deploy exactly the same physical infrastructure as to the
population-sparse areas?

Using the population density number alone as a dictator of the sole carriage/
access method is silly. :)

Adrian

(Oh wait, I'm not even in this playing field anymore...)

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010, Shane Short wrote:
> As already pointed out, the cost to provide such a service would be extremely prohibitive-- I personally thing GPON was the only real, sensible solution, especially given that most of the opposition to the NBN seems to be cost related.
>
> There's no real point comparing australia to most other FTTx deployments in the world, our vastness and population density makes things much, much harder-- Poking around Wolfram Alpha, it turns out that The Netherlands (the entire country) is about half the size of Victoria alone and the population density is 488 people/km^2, where-as Australia is 2.77 people/km^2.
>
> -Shane
>
> On 25/03/2010, at 1:41 PM, Curtis Bayne wrote:
>
> > A commitment to a P2P network is one way to ENSURE open access is an option.
> >
> > DWDM over existing OF to exchanges = wavelengths between any two points in the same city for peanuts. Private, layer 2 networks between groups of people are possible without AGVC costs. 1Gbps drops to teleworkers - imagine the ability to build highly diverse private cloud infrastructure by dropping elastic compute nodes into your employees houses. No VPN. Total control. Out there, but not unachievable with this architecture.
> >
> > Perhaps you could use that old 155meg ATM gear you scabbed from work that sits in your garage/bits box doing nothing for a private link to your mum's house - the possibilities here are endless!

- $24/pm+GST entry-level VPSes w/ capped bandwidth charges available in WA -