[AusNOG] NBNCo releases its response to industry consultation

Brad Gould bradley at internode.com.au
Thu Mar 25 16:54:02 EST 2010

> Most of Adelaide's suburban ADSL2+ services share a backhaul network
> that is largely overhead, and in the 5 years it's been active I'm not
> aware that there's ever been a failure related to a physical cable
> fault.

We had a mid-span fault on NYE.  Single core failed in a multicore bundle, no obvious outside sheath damage.

Also a burning (arson) tree has melted an overhead span in Victoria.

I have no idea of the relative merits of either method (overhead or duct) statistically - failure per km of fibre per year.

(We've also lost fibre in ducts).

Brad

This may be attributable to SA's use of concrete stobie poles