[AusNOG] NBN

Andreux Fort afort at choqolat.org
Thu Mar 18 14:50:02 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Stephen Carter <
Stephen.Carter at workingtech.com> wrote:

> http://www.itnews.com.au/News/169886,feds-arrive-at-2500-to-connect-fibre-to-new-homes.aspx
>

> Ouch

Heh. And not a surprise to any of us who've seen fibre plans for rollouts, I
guess?  ISTR "a million bucks a kilometre" as the rough figure if you were
digging up city roads and footpaths, and that was ~5 years ago.  Without
reading the report in detail, I'm curious what the $400k-$700k is based upon
(though I can't imagine it being much more than a kilometre of new fibre).
 I spoke to a developer whilst waiting in the bank earlier today who was
pretty nonplussed about the whole thing.  He did suggest (sarcastically)
that it might be a driver for higher density suburban projects, though, so
maybe it's not all bad :).

You'd think some smart developers who want to add teh internet would install
some wireless (or not) backhaul and blanket their 'hood with 802.11... But
that's probably illegal under the new world order.  Shame the ACCC can't
investigate the government for anticompetitive behaviour.

-a